Buying your new home is a serious venture and selecting your real estate professional is one of the most important decisions that you'll make. After all, a home is often both the largest and the most emotional investment that most people will face in their lifetime. While it's helpful to do your homework, research the market and work the numbers, you don't have to know everything. John is ready to help you through every step of the process.
Below are some pointers that you might find useful in the home-buying process.
PRIORITIZE YOUR NEEDS
In a market like Steamboat, where inventory is often limited, it's crucial to know what's most important to you. Knowing what features you need can help narrow down your home options and make the decision easier when it comes to making an offer.
- Start by creating a checklist of needs and wants.
- Use this checklist as a guide and take it with you when you view properties.
- After seeing several houses in one day, these lists can help you to remember what you've seen and liked, or not liked.
UNDERSTAND THE MARKET
Real estate markets change dramatically and frequently. For starters, it's important to know:
- Whether it's a buyer's market or a seller's market.
- Which neighborhoods have excess or limited inventory.
- The accurate valuations of different sized properties.
The list goes on. This is when working with a CGR agent adds significant value. We are constantly analyzing the market trends to ensure our clients are getting the best value possible.
While knowing how much you can afford is the first step, sellers will be much more receptive to potential buyers who have been pre-approved. You’ll also avoid being disappointed when going after homes that are out of your price range.
- With pre-approval, the buyer actually applies for a mortgage and receives a commitment in writing from a lender.
- This way, assuming the home that you’re interested in is at or under the amount you are pre-qualified for, the seller knows immediately that you are a serious buyer for that property. This can make all the difference in a competitive bidding situation.
Use our mortgage calculator to help estimate the loan amount, number of payments and your monthly payment for your desired home.
CHOOSE YOUR REAL ESTATE AGENT
A great real estate agent will:
- Educate you about the current conditions of the market.
- Analyze what you want and what you need in your next home.
- Coordinate the work of other needed professionals throughout the process.
- Guide you to homes that fit your criteria and budget.
- Negotiate on your behalf to get you the best possible deal.
- Check and double-check paperwork and deadlines.
- Inform and discuss with you, and suggest solutions to solve any problems that may arise.
Now for the fun part: house hunting! When comparing homes, make sure to look at all aspects of the properties. For example:
- How old are the homes?
- Have they been renovated?
- What are the neighborhoods like?
- What is included in the price of each?
- How long have each of the homes been on the market?
MAKE AN OFFER
John will help you make and present your offer.
Some things to consider when deciding on the best price point are:
- List price: Start with the price point that the home is listed at. This will give you a base when looking at the home's value.
- Market analysis: Your agent will give you an idea of comparable home values in the neighborhood to help you decide if the price point is on par.
- Improvements: Your agent can give you a list of improvements made to the home to help you determine the market value.
John can provide information on other properties in the neighborhood to ensure you make an informed decision when it comes to price.
PERFORM DUE DILIGENCE
With the help of a licensed home inspector, John will help you identify challenges with your home and improvements that can be made. This will aid you in knowing exactly what you're getting into prior to completing the purchase. Very often a problem appears to be big but can be fixed with very little effort and not a huge budget.
John has a Transaction Management team to ensure the purchasing process goes smoothly and to protect his client's best interests. You'll sign all of the appropriate paperwork, transfer funds to the seller and get the keys to your new home.
Purchasing Your Home
Any major purchase requires research, careful analysis, consideration, and thought. Home buying isn't any different! Determining the right location, the number of bedrooms or bathrooms needed, and outdoor space is the easier things. However, there are many other factors to think about in your home search. From your initial search to the moment you get the keys to your new home, I will be there, guiding you through the process. I can even help connect you with mortgage professionals to get the best rates.
As an area expert, I can help educate you on the different neighborhoods, schools, and other local community amenities that suit your lifestyle.
Home Buying Can Be Easy
As your buying agent, I can help streamline the process of buying a home and make it easier for you. I’ve aligned myself with the top professionals in the industry, and once an offer has been accepted, I will personally help facilitate the process to close on the home. By working closely with mortgage brokers, title and escrow companies, home inspectors, and home warranty companies I will provide you with the best service possible!
Curious about what’s happening in your neighborhood? You can create a custom market report to see what’s active, under contract, and sold in your neighborhood!
Considering selling or refinancing your home? Get an INSTANT property valuation now!
today to find out how we can be of assistance to you!